Gear Review: Snareweights
I have been using snareweights M80 and the mylar cuts for four months now and I can’t get enough of them. For me, the ultimate drum dampening system.
- Easy to fit
- Hard to lose as it stays in your drum unlike moongel
- Cuts give you the minimal dampening to get rid of those disturbing but not annoying overtones, specially on toms, whilst keeping all the tone and volume from the drum
- M80 gives you the flexibility to change how much dampening you need within seconds. I play in settings where 1. Different tunings and sounds are needed from the snare 2. Taking two snares and swapping/mounting twi snares is hardly viable. 3. Change from brushes to sticks is constant. Therefore, having that possibility to change sound in one second makes it super easy for me. Moongels get lost or dirty very easily and the wallet moves around too much and is too valuable.
- Want that thuddy, 80’s fat snare sound? It is fairly easy to cut an old drum head / use your bfsd and tuck it under your M80 to keep it together.
What’s not so good:
- Price, at £20 for an M80 can be a bit off-putting when compared to £7 moongel pack (although these get lost and dirty 25x quicker).
- Use of leather might put off vegans.
And that’s basically it. If you live in the UK please buy them here:
Vintage drum restorer, drum technician and online vintage drum shop based in Yorkshire, UK. Established 2013. UK…
Joe is a great lad and only Snareweight stockist around here. Always nice and quick to shop through him. His snare drum collection is insane and you can guarantee that every vintage item he’s got on sale is sold at its best condition possible for you to enjoy straightaway.